Links to Peel
Buckley paid a short visit to the UK in March/April 1968, appearing on BBC2's Late Night Line-Up, performing at London's Speakeasy and Middle Earth clubs, and as the opening act in a Royal Festival Hall concert by Elektra stablemates The Incredible String Band. He also recorded a session for Top Gear. Peel met Buckley at this time and mentions in his International Times column of 3 May 1968 that the singer had recommended the album "Sessions" by Fred Neil (Buckley's favourite singer) to him ("Tim Buckley ordered me to buy this") ; but in his review of the LP, Peel commented that although it was "quite a nice record" he found Fred's voice "a bit mannered".
The singer returned to the UK in October 1968 for a solo concert at the Queen Elizabeth Hall and a number of TV appearances. According to an Elektra Records fan newsletter, he appeared on Late-Night Line-Up (2 October), How It Is (4 October; the BBC Genome site lists Peel as one of the presenters of this show, but Buckley does not appear in the guest list), and recorded a performance for an edition of Julie Felix's Once More With Felix show, which was broadcast on BBC2 on 23 November. A second Top Gear session was recorded in October and off-air recordings of it survive, even though logs seems to be unavailable or at least, partial.
Peel retained his affection for Buckley's music even long after that era, sometimes playing his music during the 90s and 2000s, and occasionally remarking that the singer's voice reminded him of Lonnie Donegan. However, he was not too keen on music by Tim's son Jeff.
Festive Fifty Entries
Two sessions. Session #1 released on 'Peel Sessions (Strange Fruit Records SFPCD082) '.
- Morning Glory / Coming Home To You (Happy Time) / Sing A Song For You / Hallucinations / Troubadour / Once I Was
2. Recording date: 1968-10-01. First broadcast: 13 October 1968.
- Love From Room 109 / Buzzin' Fly / The Train
Other Shows Played
(Please add more information if known)
- 06 August 1967: Song, Slowly, Song (LP: Tim Buckley) Elektra EKL 4004
- 14 August 1967: Song Slowly Sung (LP -Tim Buckley) Elektra EKL 4004
- 03 January 1970: Happy Time (LP - Blue Afternoon) Straight STS 1060
- 06 September 1983: Song To The Siren (LP - Starsailor) Straight
- 15 August 1988: 'Bring It On Up (LP-Look At The Fool)' (Discreet)
- 04 August 1991: Morning Glory (CD - The Peel Sessions) Strange Fruit
- 12 August 1991 (Radio Bremen): Morning Glory (12" - The Peel Sessions) Strange Fruit
- 25 March 1999: Song To The Siren (LP: Starsailor) Straight
- 10 November 1999: 'Song To The Siren (LP-Starsailor)' (Warner Bros / Straight) (Peelenium 1970)
- 06 January 2000: 'Song To The Siren (LP-Starsailor)' (Straight)
- 24 April 2001: No Man Can Find The War (Compilation 2xCD: Morning Glory The Tim Buckley Story) Elektra 8122-76722-2
- 13 May 2001 (BBC World Service): No Man Can Find The War (album - Morning Glory: The Tim Buckley Anthology) Elektra
- 30 May 2001: It Happens Every Time (2xCD - Morning Glory) Elektra 8122-76722-2
- 06 June 2001: 'Pleasant Street (2xCD-Morning Glory: The Tim Buckley Anthology)' (Elektra)
- 05 February 2002: 'Song Slowly Sung' (Elektra) 2XCD: Morning Glory
- 22 January 1969: Fairport Convention - Morning Glory (Peel session)
- 21 April 1972: Mike Cooper - Morning Glory (Peel session)
- 05 May 1972: Max Merritt & The Meteors - Morning Glory (session)
- 02 June 1972: Mike Cooper - Morning Glory (Peel session)
- 06 September 1983: This Mortal Coil - 'Song To The Siren (7")'
- 13 September 1983: This Mortal Coil - 'Song To The Siren (7")'
- 29 December 1983: This Mortal Coil - 'Song To The Siren (7")' (1983 Festive Fifty - #4)
- 13 August 1990: This Mortal Coil - 'Song To The Siren (7")'
- 06 July 1991: This Mortal Coil - Song To The Siren (12" - Sixteen Days - Gathering Dust) 4AD BAD 310
- 09 December 1999: This Mortal Coil - 'Song To The Siren (7")' (4AD) (Peelenium 1983)
- 25 January 2000: This Mortal Coil - 'Song To The Siren (LP-It'll End In Tears)' (4AD) (2000 Festive Fifty - # 10)
- 03 September 2002: Half Man Half Biscuit - 'Song To The Siren / Vatican Broadside' (Peel Session)
(Please add more if known)