J Mascis (Joseph Donald Mascis, Jr.; December 10, 1965) is an American musician, best known as the singer, guitarist and main songwriter for the alternative rock band Dinosaur Jr.. He has also released several albums as a solo artist and played drums and guitar on other projects. He was ranked number 86 in a Rolling Stone list of the "100 Greatest Guitarists", and number 5 in a similar list for Spin magazine in 2012.
Links To Peel
Peel was generally a fan of Dinosaur Jr. and followed J Mascis's music when he initially disbanded the band in 1998 and formed the J Mascis + The Fog group. During their first European tour in 2000, J Mascis + The Fog participated in a John Peel session for BBC Radio 1, during which the band recorded a medley consisting of Teenage Fanclub's "Everything Flows", Pavement's "Range Life", and The Ruts' "In a Rut", that was broadcast on 19 December 2000, to celebrate 25 years of the Festive Fifty.
All sessions are available on The John Peel Sessions (2003, CD, Strange Fruit)
- Same Day / Ammaring / Waistin / I'm Not Fine
- I Feel Like Going Home / Alone / Everybody Lets Me Down / Freakscene
Other Shows Played
- 06 September 2000: Where'd You Go (CD - More Light) City Slang
- 28 September 2000: Same Day (LP: More Light) City Slang
- 19 December 2000: Everything Flows / Range Life / In A Rut (medley)
- 24 September 2002: Everybody Lets Me Down (CD Single) City Slang
- 24 October 2002: Someone Said (LP - Free So Free) City Slang
- 26 August 2003: Freak Scene (CD - The John Peel Sessions) Sanctuary
- Pop Depresija (Pop Depression): Everything Flows / Range Life / In A Rut (Medley) (Peel Session)