- Desert Island Discs
- BBC Radio Four
- Peel interviewed by Sue Lawley and talks through eight records he would take to a desert island. Full transcript appears here.
- A couple of perhaps surprising classical selections, but says if he could choose one record it would be Teenage Kicks.
- Book: A Dance To The Music Of Time by Anthony Powell. Luxury: A football, and a wall to kick it against.
- According to the BBC's database of Desert Island Discs appearances, Peel remains the only castaway to have chosen records by Jimmy Reed, Misty in Roots or the Four Brothers. He remained the only guest to have chosen The Fall until 2007, or the Undertones until 2008. However, since that time Grayson Perry and Frank Skinner have chosen Fall songs, and Bill Bailey, James Nesbitt and Frank Cottrell Boyce have chosen Undertones songs, reflecting the major change in the generational background and assumptions of castaways in recent years.
- The show was repeated in 2011 for the first time in 21 years.
- Handel: Zadok the Priest
- Roy Orbison: It's Over
- Jimmy Reed: Too Much
- Misty In Roots: Mankind
- Undertones: Teenage Kicks (choice if only allowed one record)
- Rachmaninoff: 2nd Piano Concerto
- Fall: Eat Y'self Fitter
- Four Brothers: Pasi Pano Pane Aviedzo
- a) jp-did.mp3
- b) John Peel (Desert Island Discs) 1990
- a) 00:39:36
- b) 00:39:17
- a) 128 kbps mono, volume corrected
- b) 320 kbps: recorded from 2011 repeat
- c) Audio stream