- BBC One (TV)
- This was the fourth program hosted by David Jensen and John Peel during 1983. This was the week's singles chart.
- Many artists that had been championed by Peel were now in the charts and on the show. New Order were a new entry at 24 with Blue Monday, notwithstanding the single was only available as a 12". The group would give a somewhat disastrous, yet almost legendary, performance of the song live on TOTP the following week. Altered Images were another new entry at no. 12 with "Don't Talk To Me About Love" although the performance was introduced by Jensen rather than Peel. This was their only appearance in 1983 and their last appearance on TOTP. Also on the show were Orange Juice at no. 9 and David Bowie at no. 5 (second highest new entry). Big Country had just recorded their one and only session for Peel which had been aired on his the radio show the night before this TOTP, 22 March 1983, and JP makes a reference to this when presenting the peformance of "Fields of Fire". Also in the Top 30 were Blancmange at no. 19 with "Waves" which had originally been recorded for their one and only session for Peel over a year earlier.
- Duran Duran were straight in at no. 1 with "Is There Something I Should Know".
- Show repeated on 17 Febraury 2017 on BBC Four.
- please add comments made by Peel if you can watch the show
- JoBoxers – “Boxerbeat” (21)
- David Bowie – “Let’s Dance” (5) (video)
- Orange Juice – “Rip It Up” (9)
- Leo Sayer – “Orchard Road” (27) (clip from his TV series)
Jonathan King – US chart rundown:
- After The Fire – “Der Kommissar” (video clip)
- Frida – “I Know There’s Something Going On” (video clip)
- Golden Earring – “Twilight Zone” (video clip)
- Styx – “Mr Roboto” (video clip)
- Michael Jackson – “Billie Jean” (video clip)
Back To The Top Of The Pops Studio:
- Big Country – “Fields Of Fire (400 Miles)” (31)
- Nick Heyward – “Whistle Down The Wind” (26)
- Altered Images – “Don’t Talk To Me About Love” (12)
- Duran Duran – “Is There Something I Should Know?” (1)
- David Joseph – “You Can’t Hide (Your Love From Me)” (13)