- Start of show: "Hello to you. I’d be enormously worried, you know, if any of our BBC Sports people ever showed any admiration or affection for Liverpool. Tonight, after they’d beaten Forest 2-0, the match analyst said rather glumly, “Well, they’re three points ahead at the top of the first division, “ but then added bravely, “but they’ve only got one game in hand”! I thought that was terrific. Anyway, on tonight’s programme a session from the Glass Torpedoes and from the Damned. And amongst the records, I’m So Hollow, Scritti Politti, Night Shift, Psychedelic Furs, Killing Joke, the Selecter, Joy Division, Siouxsie & The Banshees – a lot of other people besides. And among the records also, a German ska record, or something close to it anyway, Cindy & The Barbi Dolls, the Pinkoes and the Bodies, all of them making their debuts on the programme besides. This is a single from Tenpole Tudor."
- Incomplete show spread over three files, although with both the start and end present. Around 20 minutes is missing from the currently available recording, although a couple of tracks have been edited down with pause button.
- Peel has forgotten to bring with him requests from his gig at Leicester Polytechnic the previous weekend.
- Claims his mood is much better than on the night the Glass Torpedos session was first broadcast and he’d thought it sounded a bit flat.
- In response to the Defectors track, he says the righteous go to Anfield, as he will be doing this coming Saturday (when Liverpool would draw 1-1 with Ipswich.)
- The show ends with a track from Cleveland Crochet. A single by the band was later found in John Peel's Record Box.
- Damned #4 Repeat. First broadcast 29 October 1979. Recorded 1979-10-22.
- Glass Torpedoes #1 Repeat of only session. First broadcast 24 January 1980. Recorded 1980-01-09.
- No known commercial release.
- (Peel relates how he drove into a London bus that afternoon.)
- Glass Torpedoes: This Is The End (session)
- Meadow Larks: Untrue
- Rod Taylor: Morning Train (LP – If Jah Should Come Now) Little Luke
- Tea Set: Parry Thomas (single) Waldo’s
- Bodies: Art Nouveau (single) Waldo’s
- Elvis Costello & The Attractions: Beaten To The Punch (LP – Get Happy!!) F-Beat
- (JP detects slight return of “twerps” in the music biz and voices disapproval of people who end sentences with “ya?” and/or use the word “bread” for money.)
- Pinkoes: Mr Smith (EP – Into The Red) Popular
- Damned: Just Can’t Be Happy (session)
- Scritti Politti: Messthetics (EP – Work In Progress 2nd Peel Session) Rough Trade/St Pancras
- Beat: Hands Off … She’s Mine (single) Go-Feet
- Glass Torpedoes: Something New (session) continues on new file
- Cindy & The Barbi Dolls: Voice In The Night (maxi-single – Isn’t Showbiz Wonderful) Not Major
- Siouxsie & The Banshees: Happy House (single) Polydor
- (JP: I was a little uncertain about it at first, but I’m learning to love it.)
- Die Fehlfarben: Abenteuer und Freiheit (7" - Gross Liebe/Abenteuer und Freiheit) Welt
- Joy Division: Transmission (single) Factory
- Big Jay McNeely: Deacon’s Hop (LP – Honkers And Screamers: Roots Of Rock n Roll, Vol 6) Savoy
- Damned: Liar (session)
- Mediations: War Mongers
- Glass Torpedoes: Tall Stories (session)
- Killing Joke: Pssyche (single – Wardance) Malicious Damage – edited
- Selecter: My Collie (Not A Dog) (LP – Too Much Pressure) 2 Tone – edited
- I’m So Hollow: I Don’t Know (7” – 1980: The First 15 Minutes) Neutron
- Psychedelic Furs: Sister Europe (single) CBS
- Alternomen Unlimited: Façade (LP – Objectivity: The Object Singles Album) Object
- Defectors: Where The Righteous Go (7” – Baby maxi-single) Louder
- Damned: I’m So Bored (session) – cuts out
(jump to near end of show)
- Misfits: We Are 138 (12” EP – Beware) Plan 9 / Cherry Red
- Cleveland Crochet: Midnight Blues (LP – Cleveland Crochet & The Sugar Bees, Classic Cajun)
(end of show)
- 50.00 (cuts off at 45.21)
- 33.20 (until 9.27, then continues with 18 February 1980)
- Files created from T217 and T216 of 400 Box. Please note that file names may not be the expected order. Many thanks to Roger and the original taper.
- Please note that the show of this date in the John Peel Torrent Compilation 8 of 17 (1967-1993) is in fact a Virgin in-store tape. For details, see 19 February 1980 (Virgin In-Store).
- Mooo Server (Roger).