- Around 45 minutes of a Sunday afternoon Top Gear, with some medium wave whine towards the end.
- JP mentions a concert on the previous evening with Tyrannosaurus Rex at Birmingham Town Hall, at which he had read poetry. This was part of the tour in which David Bowie was bottom of the bill, as a mime artist, an occurrence which Peel would often recall after Bowie had achieved fame. An advertisement for the tour in International Times 49, Jan. 31-Feb. 15, 1969, bills it as Tyrannosaurus Rex in concert ("For the lion and the unicorn/In the oak forests of faun") with "Vytas Serelis (sitar) and John Peel (catalyst)".(Bowie is not mentioned.) Other dates were Croydon Fairfield Hall (16 Feb.), Manchester Free Trade Hall (22), Bristol Colston Hall (23), Liverpool Philharmonic (1 March), Brighton Dome (8 March). The tour was "A Nems Enterprise".
- Relating tales of other gigs the previous week, Peel mentions that on Friday (14 Feb.) he judged a beauty contest at Acton Town Hall on behalf of Ealing Technical College. Bands: Maddening Crowd, Steve Miller's Delivery. The previous night (13 Feb.) he had attended a disastrous "dance" (roadshow?) at Locarno Ballroom, Swindon, then went to see Fairport Convention at another venue in the same city - he's full of praise for their performance.
- The show features one of the few TG sessions by influential American groups of the era, in this case the San Francisco band Moby Grape. Peel comments that they didn't seem particularly interested in doing the session - a pity, he thinks, when so many British groups would love to get the chance to do one.
- Strawbs #1 Repeat, recorded 1968-12-10.
- Moby Grape #1 First broadcast of only session, recorded 1969-02-04.
- Bakerloo #2 First broadcast, recorded 1969-02-10
- Caravan, #1 (rpt). Recorded 1968-12-31. Available on Green Bottles For Marjorie (BBC Music).
- Misunderstood: Children of the Sun (single) Fontana TF 998
- Caravan: Feelin' Reelin' Squeelin (session - a cover of the Soft Machine track}. My copy here enjoy!
- Locomotive: Mr. Armageddon (single) Parlophone R 5758
- Strawbs: I'll Show You Where To Sleep (session)
- B.B. King: It's My Own Fault (LP; B.B. King Live At The Regal) HMV CLP 1870
- Moby Grape: Truckin' Man (session)
- Judy Collins: Story of Isaac (LP; Who Knows Where The Time Goes) Elektra EKS 74033 (JP; "a song by Leonard Cohen, Leonard Cohen, Leonard Cohen...")
- Bakerloo: The Last Blues (session)
- Tyrannosaurus Rex: Pewter Suitor (single) Regal Zonophone RZ 3016
- Caravan: Green Bottles For Marjory (session)
- Procol Harum: Magdalene (My Regal Zonophone) (LP; Shine On Brightly) Regal Zonophone LRZ 1004
- Chicken Shack: Get Like You Used To Be (LP: O.K. Ken?) Blue Horizon S 7-63209
- Moby Grape: Ain't That A Shame (session)
News at 4.30
- Three Dog Night: Nobody (single) Stateside SS8008
- Bakerloo: Driving Bachwards (session)
- East of Eden: Northern Hemisphere (LP: Mercator Projected) Deram SML 1038 (JP lets the track run for a minute before noticing it's at the wrong speed, apologises to the listeners and to his producer Bernie Andrews - on holiday - before hurriedly making amends)
- 1969-02-16 - John Peel - Top Gear
- 192K MP3, 64.3Mb
- Available recording split into individual tracks. Many thanks to Paul and Eddie.